Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 43: Erik's first day back at work

From Erik:



"Today was my first day back to work after taking 6 weeks off.  Needless to say, it was a little bit difficult to get back into the swing of things, but that will take time.  And I think Dawn accidentally shrank all of my clothes because they don't fit as well as they did before. ;-) 

Day 43: Back to school day

This is my 15th year of teaching and today felt like day 1 of my first year.  I probably looked like that too, so I kind of stayed to myself for most of the day.  When I walked into the room, there was a humongous poster saying "Welcome Back" with balloons and a few gifts.  
I met my students for the first time and there definitely was excitement in the air from all of us.  I have a great class, a little (actually a lot) talkative, but I hope that subsides.  My substitute teacher did such an amazing job with my kiddos and I want to say THANK YOU Amy, I got lucky having you taking care of my class.  Going back today made me realize how much I LOVE teaching and the tremendous opportunity I have to change lives.  
As my principal (Nancy, the greatest principal I have ever worked for) always says, I am truly blessed to work at such a great school with such great friends.  I want to thank my school for supporting, standing behind and caring for me and my family through all of this.  It has made our lives much less stressful.  Also, thank you so much for the cards and the donations.  Thank you!  
Today my wife started the process of staying home alone with Analise.  She said the day went great!  Nap, change diaper, feed her, nap, change diaper, bath, feed her, nap, change diaper, feed her.  I am very proud of her!  I love you Dawn soooo much!  
Analise continues to deal with the reflux, which is actually pretty common among newborns.  We have to constantly keep her head above her stomach, burp her, and move her as little as possible during and after feeding.  
Analise was originally prescribed Reglan, but after Dawn did all of her google research, we realized there were too many side effects to continue it.  And even though the side effects are rare, Analise is kind of in that category so we don't want to take any chances.  The doctor also said that several parents wanted to change from that medicine.  She was prescribed a pediatric version of Zantac, so hopefully that will keep that fire-burning acid that is causing our baby pain, where it belongs.  
Dawn thought her diet could go back to normal after the gestational diabetes, but nooooppppe!  Because of the reflux, she now has a new diet to reduce the chance of giving Analise any gas.  No chocolate or coffee (caffeine), tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, anything acidic, anything spicy and hundred other different things.  There goes my favorite, Mexican food.  
Tomorrow, Analise has her first PT (physical therapy) visit since the hospital.  Although we are doing the exercises at home as much as possible, it will be good to get some more professional advice.  There is not really any more movement in her arms other than the occasional twitches in a couple of fingers.  Keep those positive thoughts coming!  
Analise is an amazing girl though.  She is so attentive.  When you are talking to her, she sometimes gets so excited she actually spits up.  She hates being dirty!  The minute her diaper is dirty, she lets you know.  She still eats very well too.  I have a great video of her when I pull the bottle away, hilarious.  And at 6 weeks, with those big casts, she can flip one over the other and practically roll over.  It's pretty funny to watch because she hates being on her back.  
We love her so much and know and feel the love from all of our family and friends.  Thanks for being in our lives.  We love you!
Have a great week and hope to see you soon!"
Day 43-Ready for my first day of PT!!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment