Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 16: Y'all must have been praying for that Orthopedic evaluation . . .

Well, we know that you all must have been praying that Our Sweet Analise would be evaluated by the orthopedic surgeon before she went home!!   Even though Erik and Dawn were told that Analise would probably not be assessed by an orthopedic surgeon while she was in the hospital...guess what??...
Dr. Kessler, the pediatric orthopedic surgeon assessed Analise today... Thank you God for hearing our prayers!!!

Dr. Kessler stated that he only sees a couple of cases of Arthrogryposis per year, but he does not think that Analise has a severe case.  He was encouraged by Analise's ability to reach her head with her arms (with assistance).  He told Erik and Dawn that if Analise was his patient, he would wait on any casting or more invasive procedures for about a month, to see how her limbs continued to develop.  Dr. Kessler said that Analise can continue with very slow and gentle range of motion exercises.  He recommended that Analise sees the orthopedic surgeon in Fontana, who has an interest and more experience with children with amyoplasia and arthrogryposis, once she is discharged.

Erik and Dawn are also in the process of applying with Shriner's Hospital, so that Analise may be evaluated there as well, since the doctors at Shiner's Hospital may have more experience and are familiar with the latest treatment for Amyoplasia and Athrogryposis.

The nasogastric tube was removed today.  Analise is up to 46 ml's of breast milk, drinking it from a bottle.  She spit up a little bit this morning, but the doctor's are not concerned.  Analise has been having the normal, loose, breast milk stools.

Analise has been awake most of the day and is crying less and less.  The doctors mentioned the possibility of discharging Analise soon.

Sorry about all the pictures today, but we are soooo happy about today's events!!
Since I can't suck my thumb, I love sucking my lower lip!!
Hey Papa, look at me, I'm down here!!
Doing my exercises, bending my elbows and crossing my arms...
You can tell I am not a big fan of these exercises!!  

Mommy can feed me again, I'm happy!!                                 Hey look how I can raise my legs!!



Did I just hear I may be going home soon!?!?



1 comment:

  1. How great is this news. She is just beautiful. Hopefully Shriner's will see her. Talk to you guys later.

    Lots of Love!

    Great Gramps Joe

    ReplyDelete